Introductory Post


  A color doppler gif of a heart ultrasound

          Hello! My name is Sabrina Mar and I am a senior at BASIS Tucson North. After years of hard work and many APs, I have been given the unique opportunity to intern for the remainder of my senior year.  I will be doing my internship in the Emergency Department studying the use of ultrasonography in trauma patients. I plan to narrow my research by focusing on emergency ultrasound and its increasing usage in modern medicine. I was inspired to study the use of ultrasounds after writing my History of Medicine and Science paper on the transitional shift from midwives to doctors. For this paper, I did a lot of research on the second industrial revolution and the revolution of medical technology during that time period and as a result, I stumbled on the ultrasound. Because my paper focused more on the historical transition from midwives to doctors however, I was unable to focus on solely medical technology. The usage of ultrasounds in prenatal care that I researched for my paper is what sparked my interest to continue to study it for my Senior Research Project.

           We live in a world that is constantly changing—a century of rapid advancement after the second industrial revolution. The professionalism of hospitals and medical technology gained momentum only about a century and a half ago, the high mortality rates from diseases like measles during the 1900s a stark contrast with modern society today. In a relatively short period of time, the medical field has transformed society through technological advancements. In order to keep up with the rapid improvements of medicine, I think it is important to research one of the most promising technological advancements today: Ultrasonography. Ultrasonography is a field that is starting to gain more and more recognition in the field of medicine, extending beyond the belief that ultrasounds are only used in prenatal care and this is because of its versatility in surgery and trauma patient.
       
                  Over the last decade, ultrasound machines have become smaller, and more portable, making it more accessible in hospitals. Because of this increase in accessibly, the research questions that I have are what medical procedures have been revolutionized from ultrasounds. Does ultrasound really have a significant impact in standard procedures like checkups? Can doctors find the diagnosis and respond with proper treatment for Trauma patients through the use of ultrasounds significantly faster than treating a patient without an ultrasound?


                  

1 comments:

  1. The ultrasound that you found is quite interesting. Can you explain the change in color?

    ReplyDelete

 

Contact Me

Email:smars88@hotmail.com

Updates

SRP Start date: 2/12/15

Meet The Author

Hello, my name is Sabrina Mar. I am a senior at BASIS Tucson North and I am doing my Senior Research Project on Emergency Ultrasounds